Thursday, February 3, 2011

Primal Survival Beef and Vegetable Soup

Today I was working from home and decided to do something a little different for lunch. It's a cold day here and soup sounded really good. We've eaten most of our fresh vegetables and with an impending ice storm, we didn't want to fight the hordes at the grocery store going for their bread, milk and toilet paper. (Really people, the roads will be slick tonight and tomorrow morning and by Saturday it'll be back up to 50 degrees. You can't manage to spend 36 hours at home with the food that you have in your pantry?)

I had some leftover beef stock in the refrigerator from a grass-fed pot roast we had last week. It had a nice layer of tallow on top of a good and jiggly bit of stock. I tossed the whole thing in a sauce pan, fat and all.

As it melted, I added three strips of beef jerky and let it soften for 10-15 minutes. The broth was getting a bit low, so I added a cup of water, then some dehydrated tomatoes, red pepper, red onion, kale and a few slices of dehydrated sweet potato. I let that simmer for about 15 minutes. Added some sea salt and pepper and it made a mighty tasty and mighty filling warm bowl of soup.

I call it Survival soup, because I stocked up on some dehydrated vegetables so that I'd have them in event of emergency (meaning I was out of fresh). They've worked out really well. They softened up and weren't hard at all. The jerky was still a little tough, but nothing bad. Just a little chewy.

The take away: Save your leftover juice from cooking a pot roast and turn it into a tasty soup with fresh, dehydrated or leftover vegetables and beef.

No comments:

Post a Comment