Friday, September 2, 2011

Day 26 - August 26

Our office is having a huge dinner party tonight for the Taste of Houston event. We're getting together with our contractors to go to Perry's Italian Restaurant for their special menu. So to get ready, I'm being good and had a good breakfast and lunch of paleo. Eggs in the morning, and leftover cauliflower for lunch. They want to eat dinner so early that I don't want to eat much for lunch and then be too full to enjoy dinner.

The Grokster is spending the evening at a neighbor's house with a playmate, so it's just the two of us. Perry's is not the sort of place you bring a 2-year old. Nope.

We get there, and I just know it's going to be a bad night. They have fresh bread and seasoned olive oil on the table. I already know I'm going to let myself have dessert because the menu is prix fix and consists of salad, entree and dessert. So I figure I can have a slice of bread. I have 2 and a half slices.

Then a friend and I agree to split a bottle of wine. I had only thought about getting a glass, but we got there early enough that it was still happy hour, and the bottle was half price. For the cost of a glass, I got a half bottle, and it was a great wine. Conundrum, a semi-sweet white California blend. I'm not a big wine drinking, but this was nice.

I could tell that I haven't been drinking in 6 weeks, because the wine hit me big time. I was completely toasted after 2 glasses. How sad is that?

Anyway, dinner was fantastic. I had the pear salad, and then I tried to pick the least carby entree. I selected the filet mignon with gorgonzola sauce and roasted potatoes. I only had about 5 pieces of potatoes. But what did me in was the dessert. I ordered the white chocolate cheesecake. Oh, wow, was it delicious. It's the sort of thing where you're full. You know you're full, and you're getting uncomfortably full, but it tastes so good that you can't stop. And the fact that I hadn't had dessert in over a month (a real dessert, not a paleo knockoff with coconut milk and almond butter) made it impossible for me to stop half way through.

It was delicious. But I paid for it. I couldn't drive home, and sitting in the passenger seat, I felt almost nauseous with the amount of food and wine, and I guess the sugar crash hitting me. I really felt uncomfortably full all evening long.

I won't say I regretted it, because I didn't. But it really pointed out to me how unhealthy a typical meal like that is. And how really unhealthy it is to eat like that every day. Now I didn't eat a big meal like that, and I certainly never drank very frequently. But I did have some sort of dessert almost every day, and sometimes 2 or 3 times a day. Now I just have to remember how bad it makes me feel to eat that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment